Defend decisions based on the code of ethics for nursing.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 4: Defend decisions based on the code of ethics for nursing.
- Assess the impact of the code of ethics for nurses on the coordination and continuum of care.
- Competency 5: Explain how health care policies affect patient-centered care.
- Explain how governmental policies related to the health and/or safety of a community affect the coordination of care.
- Identify national, state, and local policy provisions that raise ethical questions or dilemmas for care coordination.
- Competency 6: Apply professional, scholarly communication strategies to lead patient-centered care.
- Communicate key ethical and policy issues in a presentation affecting the coordination and continuum of care for a selected community organization or support group. Either speaker notes or audio voice-over are included.
Your nurse manager at the community care center is well connected and frequently speaks to a variety of community organizations and groups. She has noticed the good work you are doing in your new care coordination role and respects your speaking and presentation skills. Consequently, she thought that an opportunity to speak publicly about contemporary issues in care coordination would be beneficial for your career and has suggested reaching out to a community organization or support group to gauge their interest in hearing from you, as a care center representative, on a topic of interest to both you and your prospective audience.
You have agreed that this is a good idea and have decided to research a community organization or support group that might be interested in learning about ethical and policy issues related to the coordination of care. Your manager has suggested the following community organizations and support groups, but acknowledges that the choice is yours.
- Homeless shelters.
- Local religious groups.
- Nursing homes.
- Local community organizations (Rotary Club or Kiwanis Club).
To prepare for this assessment, you may wish to:
- Research your selected community organization or support group.
- Review the Code of Ethics for Nurses With Interpretive Statements and associated health policy issues, specifically, the ACA.
- Review the assessment instructions and scoring guide to ensure you understand the work you will be asked to complete.