Explain what has been done with regard to mitigation, recovery, and/or response efforts within your community..
For the Unit II Case Study, you will focus on fires and fire prevention in your community, specifically structural fires and wildfires. Start by conducting research around your community/location for examples of mitigation and fire prevention, such as sprinkler systems, emergency fire exits, or fire hydrants. Take photographs of what you find so that you can show your professor what your area has done to address the issue of fires.
Using what you learned about your community and what you learned about past fires from this course, write a case study, a minimum of four pages in length, that addresses the following points:
- Explain what has been done with regard to mitigation, recovery, and/or response efforts within your community. When looking for potential threats, consider wildlands, explosions, or home fires, and, for mitigation, examples include building codes and fireproofing.
- Explain who conducted these efforts and the vulnerabilities they faced in their community, and include the role these individuals or groups play with mitigating, responding, and/or recovering from the risk.
- Examine the causes and recovery efforts of at least one past fire that either occurred in your community or that you have researched. Explain the causes and contributing factors of this fire.
- Examine the vulnerability in a larger context. Considering past fires, either in your community or surrounding areas, do you feel your community has done enough to prevent future fires? Why, or why not? What recommendations can you offer to your community to address future risks?
- Consider vulnerability theory and use it to help you explain how your community may be vulnerable to fire, followed by systems theory to help you discuss the systems (organizations, policies, procedures, etc.) in place to mitigate the fire hazard.
- Your paper should be a minimum of four pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages. You are required to use a minimum of three outside sources as part of your case study. All sources, including the textbook, must be cited and referenced according to APA guidelines.
Additionally, include at least four visual aids/images that support your content (one 4-by-4-inch image per page maximum). Please incorporate those into your paper in APA format
Valick, N. A., & Tracy, P. E. (2017). Case studies in disaster response and emergency management (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge is the textbook used, and used at least 3 other scholarly sources